Below is an excerpt from Beth's editorial from this week. The entire editorial may be found in this week's print copy of the Weston Chronicle or online here.
Below, you’ll see that Louis Smither has taken exception with my ramblings, again. This is what I wrote last week, as a suggestion for good eats in case of a shortage of meat....
“Next shortage sounds like it will be meat. Don’t hoard the stuff - it only lasts so long, even in the freezer.
Now would be a good time to stock up on beans. Accompanied by rice, they give you complete proteins.
Check for vegetarian recipes.
Your body really doesn’t require meat if you work to create complete proteins.
Check out the soy-based products.
Most of all, stay safe.”
Let me be clear, eat what you want and what you can find. We advocate that you shop locally, especially if you can buy from a small producer. Grow your own - some tomatoes, in particular taste best when they travel only from the garden to your mouth.
If you want to eat beans and rice, or even tofu, Missourians do raise the raw ingredients for them, so you could consider them a locally grown food source. Some are literally grown outside our back door.
The suggestion last week was in relation to a projected shortage of meat. If the factory beef, hog and chicken producers aren’t able to get their animals through a factory slaughterhouse, local farmers will be happy to have your business as long as they can keep up with the demand.
On the lighter side... my brother forwarded some truisms for those staying at home:
Subject: Covid 19
-Until further notice the days of the week are now called Thisday, Thatday, Otherday, Someday, Yesterday, Today and Nextday!
- -Can we uninstall 2020 and reinstall it again?... I think it has a virus ...
- Just asked a 6 year old if he understands why there is no school. He said yes because they are out of toilet paper.
- On the bright side, I am no longer calling this shelter-in-place. I am an artist-in-residence.
- After years of wanting to thoroughly clean my house but lacking the time, this week I discovered that wasn’t the reason.
- You’re not stuck at home, you’re safe at home. One word can change your attitude and one cough can change your life.
- If you thought toilet paper was crazy ... just wait until 300 million people all want a haircut appointment.
- 2020 is a unique Leap Year. It has 29 days in February, 300 days in March and 5 years in April.
- Wearing a mask inside your home is now highly recommended. Not so much to prevent COVID-19 but to stop eating.
- If you keep a glass of wine in each hand, you can’t accidentally touch your face.
- This cleaning with alcohol is total b.s. NOTHING gets done after that first bottle.
- Kinda’ starting to understand why pets try to run out of the house when the door opens.
- You think it’s bad now? In 20 years our country will be run by people home schooled by day drinkers....
- Day 7 at home and the dog is looking at me like, “See?”